When I read the following paradox, I thought about my 22 years of teaching. Some in math, some in computers. I have been thinking about changes in schools and changes in my perspective.
"Ironically, the increased emphasis on testing has come about because of a growing fear, shared by many in this country, that if we don't turn out better-educated and more highly qualified students -- especially in math and science -- then more and more of our jobs will go to better prepared students in developing countries." page 6 - Global Achievement Gap
According to Tony Wagner, there appear to be two achievement gaps -
- The gap between the quality of schooling that most middle-class kids get in America and the quality of schooling available for the most poor and minority children.
- and the Global Achievement Gap - the gap between what the BEST schools are teaching and testing and what students need to succeed in the global economy.
Read the following questions. Respond to any or all questions:
Question #1 -
Do you agree that there are Achievement Gaps? Give specific examples to support your opinion.
Question #2 -
What do today's high school graduates need to know in order to succeed in the workplace?
Question #3 -
Look at the Survival Skills in Chapter 1 - pick one that you feel you do a good job of supporting in your classroom. Give examples of how you promote this skill. Pick one that you feel you feel is important and that you need to work on improving in your classroom. Why do you think this is important?
Question #4 -
Discuss ways you have seen the world change in the past 20 years. How have schools changed in the past 20 years?
I would like to discuss Question #2 - What do today's high school graduates need to know in order to succeed in the workplace?
ReplyDeleteI agree with all of the seven skills that were mentioned in Chapter 1 of the Global Achievement Gap book as necessary for future employees. In looking back at my own experiences in high school and college, I feel the curriculum and teachers did the best they could to prepare us for the future but one other piece to the puzzle is the student developing conscious awareness to how their learning may apply in a future career situation.
I think it's helpful for teachers to find ways to show examples of how a lesson may be applicable to real world scenarios whenever possible because I think most high school students are only concerned with that they are dealing with on a day to day basis and not really thinking long-term. As teachers, if we can find ways to show how developing these key skills will actually help them become successful adults, then maybe we'll get their attention.
Robin L. Pollard, B.S.
As CTE teachers we have opportunities to allow students to 'practice' many of these Survival Skills. A silly example was my student store kids bought really cheap bread for their grill cheese sandwiches...as they started to use it, they found their normally golden brown grilled cheese weren't browning up. As a team, they tried a wide range of ways to get them to brown correctly. This was problem solving and team working. We often provide opportunities for students, but could do a better job pointing out that they are problem solving or working as a team or being creative in their decision making. Our students do get chances to practice these survival skills.
ReplyDeleteQuestion #2
ReplyDeleteI believe the skills that Tony Wagner is talking about are all skills that are needed today, but I believe our problems are in the motivation. I think we all agree that students today need to be self learners. Most of our students are tech savvy, but they don't have the motivation to use that savvy to learn. There is so much information out there today, but students need to be able to decide what they need and what is true. Too many times they lose focus and become distracted when using the internet with useless information and games. When we assign thing for them to do research they get lost in the internet and really don't give it their true effort. Most of the material I get back from students is fluff because they don't see the need to know. Our content standards don't meet their needs. I'm not sure where we are going. If you ask a student to solve a problem that's not really their problem, they don't really care. Students today only need to solve the problem when they really have the problem. They have this attitude of I'll look it up when I really need to know. The content is no longer important to most students. The problem comes when it is time to solve that real problem they don't have the skills to stick to it and find the information and answers that will help them. I am generalizing, but from what I see over 50% of the students would give up. I teach some problem solving formulas to my students, but I question how many of them would really use them in real situations because it doesn't apply to them right now. As electives, content used to be the motivator. In the past students wanted to become a mechanic, cook, cabinetmaker, etc. and they would show interest in that subject because it was fun, interesting and hands on, but today with TV, Video, IPODS, Computers and information overload it doesn't interest them. As teachers we are being taught to change our lessons every 10 minutes to keep the student's interest, but what is that doing to attention span and their ability to be completers. Sometimes you need to learn to do things you don't like, to get to where you want to be. Motivation is the key!
As I was reading the chapters, it made me think of the first Master's class I ever took at Western. My teacher had us review published journal articles and come up with our own conclusions through different discussions. I remember wondering why she wouldn't just tell me the answer so I could write it in my notes and remeber it for the test. I remember being resistant to the way she was teaching, because I had never really experienced it before. Most of my teachers gave me the information and I was then tested on it. I had never taken a class where the entire time we were teaching ourselves, with just a little guidance from our instructor.
ReplyDeleteI remember hoping that she was the only teacher who taught in this way, and was sorely disappointed when I found out that most of my teachers wanted us to figure things out on our own. As a student, that was much more difficult for me. Looking back, however, I have never learned so much in any of my classes as I did in these classes. I don't remember the lectures my teachers gave, but I remember the research I did and the discussions I participated in, and I am a better and more effective teacher because of it.
I think the author is on the right track and it is important that as teachers, we put the effort in to revise our practices for the benefit of our students.
Thus far, I feel that Wagner is not painting public education in a positive light by simply stating the obvious. The reading (and because I have been observed twice today in the "10 minute slice" manner described in Chapter 2) has caused me to reflect on what might be seen in my classroom when someone just dropped in. We must remember that what we think may be obvious, might not be understood because of many reasons.
ReplyDelete1. Did we clearly describe not only how but why we are doing what we are doing?
2. Does the audience have the same background or level of understanding?
3. Could the information be presented in numerous ways to ensure it is understood by all?
4. What changes do I need to make as the leader of my classroom to ensure directions are read, format is followed, etc?
Change is difficult. I think that sometimes the schools (and definately teachers!) dig in their heels because they are always feeling attacked. What he is proposing fit ideally within our CTE classrooms. It is simply going to take the creativity and energy to identify how to incorporate the vital skills we are not already addressing.